Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Exciting Week Awaits!

First an update of our first FLW college tournament.... On March 6th my buddy Tyler and I fished our first event of the year on Bull Shoals in southern Missouri. The fishing was difficult to say the least. 40-44 degree water temps made it tough to get bit. We only caught 4 fish all day. Tyler landed our only keeper in the last half hour of the day on a custom painted lucky craft pointer, it was a solid spotted bass. We only weighed in that one fish and ended up 16th out of 40 boats. The winners only had 3 fish which also shows how difficult it was. It's too bad we couldn't scratch out a few more keepers, those tough tournaments are always the easiest to win.

Even though we had a tough day on the water, I learned a tremendous amount about fishing in cold water. I learned more than I ever knew about jerkbaits and custom tuning them to perfection which will help me in future events.

We also prefished lake of the ozarks and found the bite to be tough there too. We found one area that coughed up a solid 4lb 12oz fish, but that's all we caught that day. We are hoping for warmer weather which may force more fish to move into the area we found. We'll see how it goes.

Now a look ahead... This Friday March 19th Tyler and I will be back on the road heading to Lake of the Ozarks for our second FLW college tournament set for Saturday March 20th. This will be my last FLW college event that I will ever fish, so we definitely need a top 5 to make it to regionals.

After the FLW tournament we are heading back down to southern Missouri to fish Table Rock Lake for two days. The is no specific reason we are fishing this lake besides for fun and to take up a few days. We're hoping for a good bite and with the warm weather they have been getting down there, we could hit it just right.

After Table Rock, we'll travel a few more hours south to Lake Dardanelle for a college regional tournament. We will be practicing for three days and then the tournament is Friday and Saturday. We fished this tournament last year and faired alright, but still not that great. We learned a lot last year and I expect to perform much better this year.

We've got a busy week ahead, but I couldn't be more excited. I've never taken a trip where I'll get the chance to fish 3 top notch lakes withing a week period. Hopefully the fish gods are with us next week. We're hoping for safe travels and even better fishing! Check back for a report once I get back.

1 comment:

Basspastor said...

Rip some lips.

You might want to consider contacting bloggers Fishing Hype and Duke Jenkel because they both have been fishing Lake of the Ozarks. Kenny of Kenny's Great Outdoors might be of some help too as that he is a MO guy.