Thursday, June 19, 2008

Recent Fishing Report

Its been awhile since my last post and I thought I'd log an entry here before I take off for my buddy's cabin in Northern Wisconsin tomorrow for a fun filled weekend. I'll be about 30 minutes from the UP of Michigan, should make for a nice relaxing time. Hopefully we'll be able to catch some muskies, smallmouth, largemouth, and possibly a couple walleye.

Since my last post I have been able to get out a couple times on some south and north metro lakes. I have found that the fish are still sort of in between all stages of the spawn here in the metro area of Minnesota. I have caught postspawn fish that are very skinny, some other postspawn fish that are getting chunky, and also a couple fish that still even have eggs in them.

Most of my success this week has come in the form of faster moving baits on offshore cover/structure, compared to the past couple weeks where I have caught them mainly on weightless plastics up shallow. "Offshore cover/structure"; by this I mean anything out away from the bank. This doesn't necessarily mean its deep water though. I have caught some fish on offshore shallow rock piles and also around weedbeds that have been offshore. However, some of the areas have also been deeper in about 10-12ft of water.

The main baits I have been using are a rapala DT3 flat, a basstrix swimbait, and an XR50 rattle trap type bait made by Xcalibur. I hope to get out tonight one last time before this weekend. I plan on slowing down on the outside weedlines to see if I can't connect with a couple more fish. If that doesn't work there is one shallow inside weedline that still might produce a few pre-spawn fish if I'm lucky, we'll see.

Hope everyone has a good weekend and lays into a few fish too! Tune in next week for a report on how my Northern Wisco weekend went (alliteration? hah).

No comments: