Monday, May 26, 2008

MN Bass Fishing Opener Report

Overall I had a pretty good opener for the 2008 season. I was at my cabin just north of Outing, MN for Saturday and Sunday and then got out to Lake Minnetonka today to do some pre-fishing for a club tournament that I have out there next weekend.
Up north the water temps varied vastly from one area to the next. In the shallow bays the water temp was up to 65 degrees in the afternoon and the main lake was in the 50-55 degree range depending on where you were. This left me with a pre-spawn situation, with a few fish just getting ready to spawn.

The lake I fished up north is made up of three basins. One basin is quite shallow and heats up the fastest. Therefore I spent most of my time there. I was catching plenty of fish in the shallow bays and also crushed them pretty good with a big swimbait on shallow flats on the main lake that had just a little bit of weeds on them.

One really cool thing that happened this weekend was seeing Jim Moynagh fishing the same lake!! I thought this was so cool! A random lake out of the countless lakes in MN and he was on the same one I was. It was even cooler to see that we had found the same fish and at times were fishing right next to each other!

The main lures I was using were watermelon red flake All Terrain stick worms, pink zoom flukes, tennesse shad redeye shads, and a 3:16 bluegill swimbait. I absolutley crushed them on the 3:16 swimbait on windblown flats. The last hour I was there before going home I got 14 in an hour all 15-18 inches, it was nuts!
Heres a picture of the 3:16 Bluegill:

Today I got out to lake Minnetonka for some prefishing. Our club tournament will be interesting considering it will be the day after the Minnetonka Classic... a 100+ boat field. Talk about pressure. I found some fish today and kind of figured out what they are doing, but a lot will change in the next week with the spawn going on and the big tournament on Saturday. We'll see how it goes.

4 comments:

Basspastor said...

Did you get a chance to talk to Moynagh or were you too busy sacking em?

Bob Downey said...

I talked to him a little bit. Congratulated him on his 2nd place finish from a couple weeks ago and talked about how the fishing was going that day, but not too much. Still pretty cool though!

HellaBass said...

Nice that you got some good swimbait fishing in!!

Bob Downey said...

Hella,
It was a blast! I can't seem to get bit on it down here in the metro lakes yet though. Hopefully I can find the right time and place to use it, because it seems like if they are eating a swimbait, their usually feeding pretty good!