Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Coon Lake - Tournament Day

This past Saturday I had a club tournament on Coon Lake. We launched from the East Lake at 6am under clear skies with an air temp of about 60 degrees. As I took off for the West Lake in the morning I got to see one of the best sunrises I’ve seen this summer coming up behind me. A nice big red sun to start of the day, just perfect.

I had pre-fished the lake on July 20th only to find out that there was an ABA tournament the same day. I was fortunate enough to still find some fish that day and had about 18-19lbs. It was by far the best practice I’d ever had and I felt like I didn’t even put a dent in the areas I had found. I was just praying the whole week that the fish would stay in the same areas and be willing to bite on tournament day.

I started off the day in the west lake around some cattails with a black spro bronzeye frog. After about 15 minutes into the day a fish inhaled the frog. It buried itself in the cattails, but I was fortunate enough to get it out. It ended up being a nice 4 pound fish. I continued to work my way around the cattails and stuck another good 3lb fish on a green pumpkin texas rigged Gander Mountain brand beaver. After awhile with no more fish in this area I moved to another spot with cattails and caught one more 2.5lb fish on a frog.

In my next spot I filled out my limit with two smaller fish on the beaver. This was an area with pads that had produced a 4lber during practice. I stuck around this area hoping for a big bite, but it never came. Next I moved back into the east lake to a pad spot where I stuck a 5 pounder in practice. I switched my beaver color to black/blue here since the water was much dirtier in the east lake than the west. On about my third pitch with the beaver into the pads, I saw a flower from a different pad stem move about 5ft from where I put my lure. I lifted up my bait, felt the weight of the fish and laid into in. After a good battle I had landed a nice 4lb 12oz fish and big bass for the day. On the next pitch I caught a solid 2.5lb fish on the beaver. I had now culled out the smaller ones from the other pad spot. After working the spot once, I went back over it with a 3/8oz blk/blue All Terrain Jig. On my 2nd pitch going back over the spot I stuck another 4lb fish about 10ft from where the 4lb 12oz fish came from. This spot had now given up a 5lb, 4lb 12oz and 4lb fish in the two times I had fished it that week. It was just one of those magic spots that you need to win a tournament.

I now had a 4lb 12oz fish, two 4 pounders, a 3lb and 2.5lb fish. This is what I would end up with for day. I was pushing hard to try and get that 2.5lb fish culled, but that 3lb bite never came. I ended up with 18lbs 6oz for the day and it ended up being my best 5 fish limit to date. I felt good to finally get a 1st place finish this year after three 2nd place finishes so far. If you asked me whether I thought I could duplicate what I caught in practice, I would have said no way. I just didn’t think I could catch that much again. But it happened. That’s now the 3rd tournament I’ve won out on Coon. That lake and I have a good thing goingJ.

Sorry about the lack of pictures….I really need to get a camera!

Here are some notes on the gear I was using:

Frog:
7’ MH Fenwick HMG Casting Rod
Pflueger Trion Casting reel
50lb Power Pro braided line
Spro Bronzeye Frog (black)

Jig:
7’ MH St.Croix Avid Rod
Pflueger Trion Casting Reel
40lb Stren Superbraid line
3/8oz black/blue All Terrain Tackle Jig w/ Gander Mtn. brand craw trailer

Beaver:
7’ MH St.Croix Avid Rod
Pflueger Trion Casting Rod
50lb Power Pro Braided line
1/4oz Tru-Tungsten bullet weight
3/0 Gamakatsu Superline EWG hook
Gander Mtn. Brand Beaver (Blk/Blue and Green Pumpkin)

4 comments:

Carl Spande said...

Awesome tournament Bob! I've been waiting to hear how you did out there. What was the 2nd place weight and by whom? Did anyone come anywhere close to you? We will have to hook up again soon. Shoot me an email if you want to get out.

Carl

HellaBass said...

Nice tournament, I feel the same way about Coon, I have a couple wins out there, its one of my favorite lakes

Bob Downey said...

Thanks Guys,

Carl: Dan took second place with 13lbs all caught around docks he said

Basspastor said...

Way to go. I've fished 1 tournament on Coon. I had a great pre-fish too with one bass that was a mid 5lber. I caught a limit tournament day, but nothing like the one I got pre-fishing.

Coon is sure an awesome lake.