Monday, September 15, 2008

Silverado Pro/Am - Lake Minnetonka

I fished my last silverado tournament of the year this past weekend on Minnetonka and it ended up being a pretty fun day on the water. The information about the tournament will be short and sweet due to the fact that I'm in texas right now and don't have much free time to write.

I started off the day by plunging into the water to put my pro's plug in his boat because he forgot to do it at the launch. If anyone has tried to put a plug in a bass boat while its in the water, you know that its not easy and your pretty much going to get soaked. My pro thought since I had shorts on I'd just be able to hop in, bend down a little and put the plug in. Well... three minutes later I was soaked neck to toe and had to fish in drenched boxers, rain pants, and a sweatshirt with no undershirt for the morning. Talk about being cold... I had never been so miserable to start off a tournament and to top it off I forgot that my cell phone was in my pocket. Yup, you guessed it, it no longer works...

So after a wet start, the morning bite didn't lighten up my day much more. It was slow to say the least and we pretty much caught one fish here, one fish there, with nothing to really talk about. Things finally started to pick up in the afternoon when we pulled up to a lily pad spot.

I started pitching my trusty all terrain jig and went on to stick four good fish that were all between 2-2.75lbs. My pro put a couple good fish in the boat on a spro frog and that pretty much sums up our day in terms of what we caught our wiegh fish on.

We ended up weighing 15.88lbs which was better than I expected. We finished in 19th place, which put me in 35 place out of 70 amatures for the season. Thats not the type of finish in the AOY race that I wanted to have, but its hard to dictate where you will finish fishing as an Amature and not being able to make many decisions on the water. Overall I had a tremendous time fishing the silverado's this year. Billy Hildebrand and his staff are truly class acts and run one heck of a tournament. I will hopeully be back next year!

3 comments:

Basspastor said...

That sucks about losing the cell phone. I hope the pro didn't take any of your money for gas after making you get in the water.

HellaBass said...

Who was your Pro?

Bob Downey said...

my pro was lonnie murphy, sorry for the terribly late response.