Friday, April 11, 2008

Practice Days 1 and 2

The first 2 days of practice are complete, and now its time to get ready for the snow storm/official practice day and the tournament on Sunday (no I have never fished open water in the snow, could be interesting). Thankfully I've been able to locate both largemouth and smallmouth during the past two days on the lake. So I know the general area some fish are in, it will just be a matter of finding them again when the weather changes.

The first day of practice was one of the worst days I have ever fished weather wise. It rained all 9 hours that I was on the lake except for maybe the first half hour. The winds blew 20-30 mph, and with my smaller boat, it makes the lake fish a lot smaller, I don't mind fishing in the wind, but my boat just can't handle it when its that strong. However, the fishing wasn't too bad. I caught all my fish in the afternoon, and everyone of them came on a different bait, not too much for a pattern.

Today was much tougher fishing wise with post frontal conditions. I only caught 1 fish and one nice 18inch walleye for a bonus fish. I didn't hit my spots from the first practice day and was able to eliminate a lot of water which was a plus. The wind blew worse today (didn't think it could get any worse!), but higher temperatures with no rain made it a little bit more pleasurable to be on the water.

Tomorrow I'm looking to mix it up a little bit in hoping I can find some backup spots. The spots where I did catch all the fish on practice day 1 have been getting hit hard by other fisherman. I'm optimistic about the next two days as long as my fish don't change too much. However, the fact that its supposed to be a high of 38 degrees with snow and wind the next two days, has me wondering whether anyone will bring anything to wiegh in on tournament day. I guess we'll wait and see. Hopefully the mental battle with the weather conditions will thin out the field a little bit, thats half the battle!

No comments: